This blog post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. There is no additional cost for you, and it helps me to keep creating awesome content!
Mother’s Day is coming up soon, but honestly, every day is a good day to celebrate mothers! Their job duties include boo-boo kisser, meal maker, answerer of impossible bedtime questions, finder of favorite toys… The list is endless.
The books below celebrate the special bond between mother and child, whether it’s Mother’s Day or any of the other 364 days of the year.
Please Pick Me Up, Mama! by Robin Luebs is about a child asking her mother to pick her up and put her down for different activities.
Llama Llama Home with Mama by Anna Dewdney is about a llama who has a sick day at home with his mama.
Mama Saurus by Stephan Lomp is about a baby brachiosaurus who gets separated from his mother and describes her to many other baby dinosaurs in his search for her.
My New Mom & Me by Renata Galindo is about a cat and puppy learning how to be mother and child.
My Mother Is So Smart! by Tomie DePaola is about how a young boy knows that his mother is smart.
Oh, the Things My Mom Will Do by Marianne Richmond is about all the sacrificial things that mothers do on a daily basis for their kids.
Just Like a Mama by Alice Faye Duncan, illustrated by Charnelle Pinkney Barlow is about a girl who is being raised by a woman who is not her mother but loves her and does everything for her…just like a mama.
I Love You with All My Heart by Noris Kern is about a bear who wants to know how his mother loves him.
Miss You Like Crazy by Pamela Hall, illustrated by Jennifer A. Bell is about a son who doesn’t want his mother to go to work, and she tells him that she always takes a part of him with her.
Me & Mama by Cozbi A. Cabrera is about a little girl’s day with her mother.
The Best Mother by C. M. Surrisi, illustrated by Diane Goode is about a girl who goes in search of a new, more permissive mother only to discover that her mother is the best mother she could ever have.
Mama Seeton’s Whistle by Jerry Spinelli, illustrated by LeUyen Pham is about a mother whose whistle to come home for supper always reaches her children no matter where they are.
Gifts for Mom
- Coupon Book (Cut out slips of paper. On each slip, write down a chore you will do and for how long you will do it. Cut one extra long strip of paper and fold it in half. This will be the cover. Decorate the cover. Put the coupons inside the cover and staple the folded side of the cover so that all of the coupons are secured inside.)
- Hands Holding a Heart Mothers Day Card (Add a personal message letting your mom know why she is great and/or how much you love her.)
- Mothers Day Award
- Finger Painting Flower Craft
- Paper Flower Bouquet
- Paper Flower Pencil Holder
- Pipe Cleaner Flowers and Yarn Wrapped Bottle Vase
- Salt Dough Handprint Frame
- DIY Handprint Coasters
- Delicious Dark Chocolate Mother’s Day Bouquet
Memory-Making Family Activities
I pulled the following activities from “45 Super Fun Mother’s Day Activities to Do With the Whole Fam” by Selena Barrientos and Marisa Lascala:
- Go on a family bike ride
- Have an at-home karaoke night
- Make a scrapbook
- Have an at-home photo shoot (Work together to create fun outfits and take turns being the photographer and model.)
- Do a puzzle
- Go on a hike
- Set up a DIY sundae bar
- Create and go on a scavenger hunt (You can create the scavenger hunt list together and divide the family into teams or have one person create the list and everyone else search.)
- Go on a picnic
- Plant a garden
This blog post is dedicated to my mother, who is the real live Wonder Woman. Through her homeschooling (especially through reading biographies, autobiographies, and historical fiction during lunch), she instilled in me a love of learning, history, and stories. Mom, thanks for everything. I love you, and I’m so glad you’re my mom!
For more themed book recommendations and activities, visit my post library.